Funky spaghetti is a pasta dish that was curated by my aunt and then perfected by my mother. For as long as I can remember, when I would be sick or during a rainy day, funky spaghetti was my family’s go to comfort meal (along with a few other dishes).
This delicious, zesty meal is vegan friendly and oh so delicious! It has a bit of a latin flair, with picante sauce being the base. It is a quick, under 30 minutes meal that will be sure to have your family, friends, or anyone else you want to feed coming back for not only seconds, but thirds!
- 1 pack of Angel Hair Spaghetti
- 1 16 oz. jar of Medium Picante Sauce
- 1 bag of Mixed Vegetables
- 1/4 Medium Onion
- 2 Medium Roma Tomatoes
- Soy Sauce
- Red Crushed Pepper
- Olive Oil
- Bring a large pan of water to boil with a large handful of salt as well as some oil. Add in the pasta and cook according to directions. Set aside.
- Slice the onion into steak sized slices and chop the tomatoes.
- Put your stove on medium heat. Pour a couple table spoons of oil into a large pan.
- Once the oil is heated, put the onions into the pan. Wait for them to become translucent and set aside on a plate.
- Add in a generous amount of mixed vegetables into the pan. Let those cook for a couple minutes.
- Add in the tomatoes, stir, and let cook for 2 minutes.
- Add in your picante sauce. For a full package of pasta, it would be the full jar.
- Bring that to a simmer.
- Add in a quarter cup of soy sauce.
- Add 2 tablespoons of crushed red pepper (I like it spicy!), 2 teaspoons of salt, and a pinch of sugar.
- Let that cook until it begins to thicken.
- Once it has the consistency of almost a paste, add in your pasta.
- Lower the stove heat to low. Add in the cooked onions. Cover and let the sauces and pasta cook together for about 5 minutes.
- Turn heat off, pour the pasta into a serving dish, and enjoy while it’s hot!
Hope you guys enjoy this scrumptious meal as much as my family and I do! What are your favorite comfort meals?!
Talk to you guys soon!